Sunday 22 March 2009

Ice cracker!

I have not blogged for so long it is frightening! I guess my silence is due to a number of reasons like motivation, that awful busyness we get into into and a lack of inspiration. Now there is so much to say, I hardly know where to begin, so Ill take this a step at a time and ease myself slowly back into this blogging thing again. Ill start with a neutral event first, the latest Landrover trial.

Just outside Pretoria is a camping and 4x4 place called Diggers Hole. It had been raining a lot over the last few weeks just before the trial there, which made the area lovely to look at - green and lush, and dust free. we arrived on the Friday after work, and set up camp. The bird-life was fantastic, and I spotted a Kingfisher, a few Barbets, and a few Bee-eaters, such lovely birds to spot.

On the saturday morning, Kev was giving the driving training class to a group of landrover Owner club members, some of them new to the club, and then later took them to the trial and training area for some practical training.

Sunday was the trial, it was well attended, and I helped to keep Kev company at his post - gate number 53, which involved a short drive through some muddy water, touch a pole in the middle of the mud with the front of your vehicle and then reverse out again! not as easy as it sounds when the mud is thick and clayey! Only two vehicles managed to do this without assistance. There were some incredibly scary and challenging obstacles to on the course, and the new Defenders and Discos breezed them with ease.

When everyone was packing up and the trial was ended, prizes given, and dust settled, Mike decided he wanted to go and do some of the obstacles for fun in his Isuzu 4x4 bakkie. We went too in our Series 11a, and another friend Martin, went in his fancy Discovery. I drove the series landy! I did a daunting uphilll axle twister, a steep down hill donga, a series of twists and turns and LOVED it. I was drenched with perspiration from adrenalin, fear and effort!

Martin mentioned that he would like to experience driving the Series IIone day and so as there is no time like the present, I suggested he drive right then. Mike invited me into his Isuzu to experience the ride, and we had FUN! with a capital F!! Mike attempted a SERIOUS uphill with lots of muddy water! Wow, with Mike's incredible driving skill and the diff locks in place, the Isuzu breezed it!

I could not believe it when Kev did the same in the Series vehicle. (Martin chickened out at that point and did not attempt to take the series himself so gave it back to Kev until after that obstacle. ) Martin gained new respect for me after he drove our Landy - it is not for sissies!

No comments: